» Ubuntu Server with ubuntu desktop does not have boot record, but it did when it was just basic server
Ubuntu Server with ubuntu desktop does not have boot record, but it did when it was just basic server
|July 15, 2014
Posted by forumadmin
The title says it all.
I started by installing “server” with the ubuntu desktop package, and when it finished and rebooted: nothing. It completed full installation, rebooted, and there was no boot record on that hard drive (I have two hard disks, first runs windows 8, second was to be for server).
I looked up tons of info, but most of it related to the Guid partition and the MBR (I know they are different), but short of deleting the whole thing and starting again, there was no good advice. So, I did that. And just installed the “simple server” package. It loaded fine, and even started as it should (in the boot options screen, there it was Sata2-ubuntu option) and it booted to the cmd prompt.
Then, I did the usual [sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop] from cmd prompt and everything ran and completed fine. But… on reboot, it’s gone! No Sata2-ubuntu option anymore!
Any ideas anybody? Maybe another desktop (l/k-buntu)? I don’t want to keep trial and error-ing it though, that seems silly and a tremendous amount of work. Also, just in case the question comes up, the boot record won’t even appear when I set the bios to legacy compatible.
Thanks to anyone who tries to help!
More Related Questions
- Dual Boot Ubuntu 14.04 with Windows 7 on UEFI I just built a new computer last week, and this weekend I got around to attempting to install Ubuntu 14.04 on it besides Windows 7. This is my first experience really using UEFI, so I was […]
- Problems After Installation I installed ubuntu on my macbook pro running osx 10.9.2 that has 251 gb of flash memory. I used a flash drive that i put ubuntu on using unetbootin, i didn't directly use an iso file but i […]
- Why cant I boot into Ubuntu installed alongside Windows 8? Once I reboot it after the installation, it brings me to a screen to choose Windows 8 or Ubuntu. When I click Ubuntu it brings me to a screen with this options:
- Do I have to partition the drive in windows before installing Ubuntu? Very quick and simple question but just want to make sure before I go ahead and install. I understand that Ubuntu 12.04.2 comes with the necessary keys to install alongside windows 8 with […]
- Installing ubuntu 14.04 alongside windows8 I install windows 8 and want to install ubuntu 14.04 alongside it but when I boot from usb (Live ubuntu)cann't see my partion and when I use Gparted the whole space is free.(the type of […]
- How to fix 14.04.1 server installation error? Hi I am trying to install Ubuntu 14.04.1 server edition on my desktop. I am able to get the install cd to load and select the install ubuntu server option. After selecting install ubuntu […]
- Dual booting Windows8 and Ubuntu on 2 separate drives: the allocation slider: What is left what is right So I just added an old 120GB HDD that I scavenged from my dead xbox360 to my computer, and it works perfectly, I have used it already on windows simply to store files.
Now I want to use […]
- Unable to satisfy all constraints on the partition when installing Ubuntu from USB I've prepared a PC for installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside Windows Vista. These are the steps I've taken:
1) Shrunk the C: drive to create 60GB for Ubuntu. The Disk Management utility […]
- Blank screen booting Ubuntu 14.04 iso on 2011 Macbook Pro 17" Macbook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011)
I've tried booting from the official Ubuntu-14.04 desktop iso, and I can get to the grub menu, however choosing either "try ubuntu" or "install ubuntu" […]
- How to Install ubuntu, problems with disk partitions I couldn't install Ubuntu since the unallocated space is not shown in Ubuntu installer or Gparted, and the "Install along side Windows" option is not listed.
Screen shot of Disk […]