» Ubuntu 14.04 installation doesnt show options to dual-boot with windows 7
Ubuntu 14.04 installation doesnt show options to dual-boot with windows 7
|June 24, 2014
Posted by forumadmin
I’m trying to install Ubuntu 14.04 64bit to my Acer am3400 and dual-boot with windows 7.
My hard drive already has four partitions: two small ones, the windows 7 and an empty D partition, about the same size as the windows partition. I’m thinking of installing Ubuntu to D partition (that’s gonna work, right?).
I’m installing from USB and everything goes well until the installation gets to “Installation type”-part. I think it’s skipping over some part, since after checking the memory and internet it just goes straight to installation type. I get no options of if I want to install alongside windows or delete windows or anything. And in the “installation type” it doesn’t show anything in the box. -, + or change options don’t work and only the quit, back and install now buttons do something. If i hit install now, I get an error message saying “No root file system is defined”.
This all happens if I install after first going to “try without installing” -option. If i choose “install now”, it doesn’t even get to installation type part without showing error message (different, it says ubi-partman failed with exit code… I can get past this but it shows up at every part of installation with different exit code and finally it just stops at getting time from network server or something similar. And I still don’t get to choose if I want to install alongside windows or something else).
I’ve tried to download ubuntu again and used a different USB stick but it doesn’t work.
Does anyone have any idea of how I should proceed from here?
I’m still new to linux and ubuntu and english isn’t my fist language so sorry for mistakes.
More Related Questions
- Dual Boot Ubuntu 14.04 with Windows 7 on UEFI I just built a new computer last week, and this weekend I got around to attempting to install Ubuntu 14.04 on it besides Windows 7. This is my first experience really using UEFI, so I was […]
- Cant install Windows as dual boot after Ubuntu I've a quite complicated problem related to dual boot of Ubuntu and Windows 7.
At first I had Windows 7 installed in my laptop but then when I tried to dual boot with Ubuntu 14.04, I […]
- 14.04 dual boot/grub error I'm trying to install 14.04 along with Windows7 Ultimate on my old laptop, HP Compaq nc8340 Core2Duo, 3Gb, 750 GB harddisk.
I installed Windows 7 first, leaving around an unused partition […]
- Windows 7 not loading in dual boot I have installed ubuntu 12.04 after windows 7 installation. But when installing ubuntu i selected the windows 7 partition in the boot device option. I think this is what cause the […]
- Windows 7 not showing up in boot after installing Ubuntu I just installed Ubuntu and upon bootup there is no GRUB, bootloader, or anything. I tried holding down Shift while booting, that brought up GRUB but it did not display Windows 7. I know […]
- Ubuntu installer cant recognize Windows 7 On my laptop HP Pavilion 15 I've installed Windows 7 with 3 partitions.
After that I wanted to install Ubuntu in a certain partition (empty one), but when I launch Ubuntu installer it […]
- Installing ubuntu 14.04 alongside windows8 I install windows 8 and want to install ubuntu 14.04 alongside it but when I boot from usb (Live ubuntu)cann't see my partion and when I use Gparted the whole space is free.(the type of […]
- Do I have to partition the drive in windows before installing Ubuntu? Very quick and simple question but just want to make sure before I go ahead and install. I understand that Ubuntu 12.04.2 comes with the necessary keys to install alongside windows 8 with […]
- Installing Ubuntu 12.04 alongside Win7 Ok, I've noticed alot of people asking this question. But none of the solutions works for me. Keep in mind I have NEVER touched Ubuntu before. I want to try out Ubuntu and get to know it. […]
- Dual-booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu: last step problem with EasyBCD I am installing Ubuntu 12.04 on a laptop that had pre-installed Windows 7.
The computer has one hard drive (1 TB SSD), which contained the following partitions:
2GB = system partition, […]