» passphrase failed for encrypted disk after GRUB menu
passphrase failed for encrypted disk after GRUB menu
|June 24, 2014
Posted by forumadmin
I have a dual boot system with Windows 7 and Kubuntu 13.10 on two separate physical disks (SSD).
I have two partitions for Ubuntu: an unencrypted “/boot” and an encrypted “/”.
Everything was working as expected (booting on both OS) until I unfortunately unplugged the Windows disk and rebooted with the Ubuntu Disk alone.
I had a “bootmgr is missing” message. I immediately replugged the Windows disk but still had the same message.
So I tried to “boot-repair” and succeeded in getting the Grub menu back to choose between Windows and Ubuntu again. Windows boot is working but when trying to boot on Ubuntu the passphrase for the encrypted disk just after the Grub menu is consistantly failing.
Exact message being: “cryptsetup: cryptsetup failed, bas password or options?”
When launching a ubuntu installation CD I’m able to connect to the encrypted disk (the passphrase is working from Dolphin file manager and I can access the files) so the encrypted volume is still accessible even though I’m not able to launch Ubuntu on it.
I guess that when I unplugged the Windows disk the BIOS switched to the Ubuntu disk as primary boot device and failed to find the “bootmgr”. Hence the “Bootmgr is missing” message.
Later when I ran “boot-repair” it overwrote my initial Grub files and I lost some information to decrypt the disk from Grub (?).
Now I’m not able to boot on Ubuntu anymore.
I tried to run “boot-repair” a second time with only the Ubuntu disk (mono boot) to see if any progress but I still have the same issue with the passphrase step.
Any Idea how I can get my system working back? I browsed the web for hours with no answer to this specific issue.
More Related Questions
- GRUB missing after removing drive with Ubuntu My work laptop is an HP EliteBook with one hard drive in it. On that hard drive is a encryption program that boots up called "safeboot", you enter your username and password and then […]
- Upgrading from 13.10 to 14.04 broke Grub I have a dual boot Ubuntu + Windows 8 on an UEFI system. Everything was ok until I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 from 13.10.
Now what I get when I boot the pc is a grub rescue screen like this […]
- Cant access recovery mode, for dual booting comp, by holding shift I used Wubi to install Ubuntu without a CD or USB.
I cannot get my (username - password) combination to work even though I'm 100% sure I typed them in correctly when installing via Wubi. […]
- Ubuntu 12.04 fails to boot from hard drive I have Ubuntu 12.04 in a dual-boot system with Windows XP in another partition. I used the live CD to perform the install and create the partitions. It has been running for about 2 weeks […]
- Cant install Windows as dual boot after Ubuntu I've a quite complicated problem related to dual boot of Ubuntu and Windows 7.
At first I had Windows 7 installed in my laptop but then when I tried to dual boot with Ubuntu 14.04, I […]
- Windows not booting in dual boot with Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 I have dual Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 installed in my PC.
I installed Ubuntu after Windows, and I have issues with GRUB. After installing Ubuntu, there was no boot loader in the start up, […]
- Ubuntu failing to install on seperate HDD, blank screen, flashing cursor I have downloaded Ubuntu 14.04.1 desktop ISO and burned it to a bootable cd and have made a bootable usb drive using both Universal USB Installer and Unetbootin.
I have tried mutliple […]
- Win 8.1 wont boot I have read alot about dual booting ubuntu and windows, but I have not seen an answer to my situation. I have an HP G17 laptop. I removed the HD and put in a 240 GB SSD and installed Win […]
- Replacing os, boot loader not showing I know many have asked this before but their problem is either: it directly boot to windows or does not boot at all. But my problem is slightly different and fixing this might also be […]
- Problem while Dual booting windows 8 pro with Ubuntu 13.10 I have a HP Pavilion-15-n004tx laptop. It supports UEFI. However when i installed Windows 8 on it, i disabled the UEFI and installed the Windows in Legacy BIOS mode. I wanted to dual boot […]