» "No boot device available" after Dual Boot Install Attempt with Windows 8
"No boot device available" after Dual Boot Install Attempt with Windows 8
|June 24, 2013
Posted by forumadmin
I was trying to install Ubuntu to my Dell Inspirion desktop that already has Windows 8 (machine is a couple months old).
Here’s the string of events as they played out:
- I followed the instructions here to create two new partitions (swap space & primary) as described here: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/dual-boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/ and finished the install wizard.
- After which, Windows 8 was loading as it normally had in the past. (i.e. nothing appeared to have changed from a boot perspective)
- Ran boot-repair off Ubuntu CD & received Locked-ESP detected error message
- Saw this site: hxxp://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-2112273.html, so removed the boot flag for /dev/sda1 & restarted with the intention of following the rest of the steps.
- Nothing now loads. Following message displays on load: No boot device available SATA0: Installed. SATA1: Installed.
- I tried going to legacy boot but ultimately switched back to UEFI as I didn’t think it was accomplishing anything
- I have also disabled SECURE Boot in the BIOS — with no perceived affect.
- I also tried setting gparted boot flag to the ubuntu partition vice Windows partition with no affect.
I’m kind of lost here, as this is beyond my technical knowledge — so any assistance or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Here is my pastebin from bootrepair:
More Related Questions
- "No boot device available" after Dual Boot Install Attempt with Windows 8 I was trying to install Ubuntu to my Dell Inspirion desktop that already has Windows 8 (machine is a couple months old).
Here's the string of events as they played out:
I followed the […]
- Configuring grub-pc: GRUB failed to install to the following devices I was running Windows 7 when I decided to delete some partitions belonging to an installation of Fedora. When I shut down Windows and returned to it, I found this error message:
error: no […]
- Cant install Windows as dual boot after Ubuntu I've a quite complicated problem related to dual boot of Ubuntu and Windows 7.
At first I had Windows 7 installed in my laptop but then when I tried to dual boot with Ubuntu 14.04, I […]
- Recover Windows after reinstalling Ubuntu I have a dual boot machine with Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu. Yesterday I tried to reinstall Ubuntu to use a lot of the free space I had in my hard drive. I wasn't very smart and I simply […]
- Is it possible to install windows7 on Ubuntu14.04? PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT A REPEATED QUESTION AS THE QUESTION SIMILAR TO THIS HAVE ALL FAILED TO SOLVE MY PROBLEM.
I have tried to install windows 7 on ubuntu-14.04 with a live USB […]
- Problem while Dual booting windows 8 pro with Ubuntu 13.10 I have a HP Pavilion-15-n004tx laptop. It supports UEFI. However when i installed Windows 8 on it, i disabled the UEFI and installed the Windows in Legacy BIOS mode. I wanted to dual boot […]
- Dual Boot Sabayon Ubuntu, Ubuntu already installed I know this question has been asked quite often but the only solutions I could find were the ones to first install sabayon and then Ubuntu.
I have Ubuntu 13.10 installed and have quite […]
- Laptop wont boot after I deleted Ubuntu partition I'd installed an Ubuntu distro alongside Windows 8 that I didn't like. I was going to replace it with standard Ubuntu, but it was having trouble, so I deleted the Ubuntu partition from […]
- How can I add a new operating system boot entry to the GRUB2 menu? I'm pretty new to Linux, but over the past few days I've taken it upon myself to give it a shot. I'm trying a few different distributions just to kind of get a feel for different versions, […]
- cant boot windows 7 after ubuntu 12.04 LTS installation I installed Ubuntu, but the installation was primitive and probably the wrong edition. It was suggested it may have been the server edition. When I tried to re-install the proper edition, […]