» Mounting Ubuntu to usb on Mac OSX Lion
Mounting Ubuntu to usb on Mac OSX Lion
|February 14, 2013
Posted by forumadmin
I am having an issue involving a Lexar USB device. When I attempt to Execute step 8
Execute sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m (replace /path/to/downloaded.img with the path where the image file is located; for example, ./ubuntu.imgor ./ubuntu.dmg).
Using /dev/rdisk instead of /dev/disk may be faster
If you see the error dd: Invalid number ‘1m’, you are using GNU dd. Use the same command but replace bs=1m with bs=1M
If you see the error dd: /dev/diskN: Resource busy, make sure the disk is not in use. Start the ‘Disk Utility.app’ and unmount (don’t eject) the drive
Creating Ubuntu USB Instructions
Terminal asks for a password, I input it and than terminal begins the process. After about 5 min. I receive this error message
“The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.”
it than gives me three options
1.)Initialize… (opens disk utility)
It also gives the lines in terminal
695+1 records in
695+1 records out
729067520 bytes transferred in 341.297351 secs (2136165 bytes/sec)
I am not certain what went wrong, but I have tried this process countless times, with each of the three options. NOTE:I am planing on duel booting with REFIT using the USB
More Related Questions
- Where to install Ubuntu bootloader on a Mac? I'm trying to install Ubuntu on a Mac, but I can't get it to boot with default mac bootloader or rEFI. It shows up as "Windows" On the mac bootloader and shows up as "Linux" on rEFI.
- Mac boot from Ubuntu installed on a USB drive I have a USB drive with Ubuntu installed on it (on a Live USB, it actually has Ubuntu installed on it), and it works seamlessly when I try to boot my PC from it.
When I try to boot my […]
- Bootable Ubuntu USB Stick just not possible on Macbook In case someone else attempts this they should not try any of the following routes when attempting to make a bootable installation or live ubuntu CD. Basically, nothing works and Ubuntu […]
- Installing Ubuntu onto MacBook Pro via USB I am new to this forum, and to Ubuntu. But I am trying to get it installed onto my MacBook Pro (late 2009 - with an installed Samsung SSD).
I have attempted to follow the tutorial on the […]
- Live USB Instructions for Mac dont work for 12.10 The are several guides online (including a few on the ubuntu website) that follow the general pattern of instructions found in this one.
I assume that at some point, this […]
- Ubuntu 14.04 on Apple Macbook Air late 2010, 3-2 – installation not possible Starting from a live usb stick, according to: create a usb stick on mac osx
is not possible.
I downloaded ubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64+mac.iso
The same behaviour appears with rEFIt […]
- Problems with making a bootable USB Drive on a Mac I am following these instructions to create a Bootable USB Drive for me Mac and this is the output I get on step 8.
new-host:~ Jason$ sudo dd […]
- GRUB 2 problem after Mac OS X update I have a MacBook Pro in dual boot Mac OS X / Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin).
When I boot it I have a rEFIt menu, and I can chose between Mac OS X and Linux.
A few […]
- Ubuntu installed GRUB over rEFIt I had my Mac set up with rEFIt and installed Ubuntu 13.04, unfortunately GRUB was installed over rEFIt. I was not expecting this and have since found out that I have no idea where my […]
- Macbook 2,1 (no cd install problem) I am very frustrated. I been trying for almost 2 weeks to put Ubuntu on my Macbook (2,1) mid-2007 13" laptop. My combo drive does not work anymore. I tried the USB stick install method […]