» Loading Qt GUI Widgets on application startup is significantly slower on Windows compared to Linux
Loading Qt GUI Widgets on application startup is significantly slower on Windows compared to Linux
|September 29, 2014
Posted by forumadmin
We have a quite GUI heavy application with several nested tabwidget structures with a lot of widgets (in total approx. 10k) inside. During application start all of these get initialized, which causes a very long start up time of about 1min on Windows systems. The exact same application on Ubuntu takes about 5-10 seconds to start, which seems weird.
Both systems were compiled in debug mode. On Windows we use Visual Studio 2012 with Qt 5.1.2 on Ubuntu we use g++, also with Qt 5.1.2.
My first assumption is that it may be an issue with Windows loading every GUI Widget at once. Whereas on Linux it only loads the widgets which are actually visible on the screen and loads the remaining widgets upon request when they are about to get visible. Can this be the case? Does anyone have a solution to enable this on Windows without manually coding a delayed initialization?
More Related Questions
- Qt signals missing in external dll I have signals in a library, iris xmpp library, that I use in my application. Everything works fine on Mac OS X and Linux, but Windows produces a whole bunch of signals not found […]
- Fullscreen widget i have a question. How can i make my widget fullscreen?
I've tried something like this:
// Make our window without panels
- Linux, can I redirect the debug output of a external library (.so) I'm developing an app in qt c++, on linux (and then others platforms).
I'm using a library of third part in my project. During the program execution the library writes debug messages on my […]
- Cannot get a frame from a mp4 video – playing ok We have a c++ / Qt 4.8 application in which we display videos as thumbs and allow the users to play the videos in a pane/window.
For all supported movie formats we're able to play the […]
- Building Qt5 on Debian fails with error: The test for linking against libxcb and support libraries failed I'm trying to build Qt5 on Debian Wheezy, by following this tutorial -
I run the configure script:
./configure -developer-build -opensource -nomake examples -nomake tests
But it fails […]
- Grayscale image conversion .img to .ras – In Linux grayscale in Windows white and blue?! C I want to convert a .img File (512 Bytes header, 512x512 pixel with 8 bit per pixel (Values: 0-255)) to a .ras file.
To do this I got the C code at the end of this post.
The output of my […]
- Qt: QSettings on Windows with INI files and comments I have an application I'm writing using Qt 4.5.2 on Windows. I'm storing some settings in an INI file and using QSettings to load and save the settings. I'd like to have some comments in […]
- QPushButton does not honor horizontal expanding size policy I'm trying to put several QPushButton entities inside a QVBoxLayout such that they are centered and expanding. The expanding tag works fine until I tell the QVBoxLayout to use […]
- Deploying Qt application, on Mac OSX and Linux, what libraries do I need to include in package? I am trying to package / deploy a Qt app, in Linux and mac. (Qt 4.8). I have to use shared libraries due to licensing type.
in Linux, following Qt documentation, I ran ldd myprogram and […]
- Cant run another application, when I start debugger I'm programming in Ubuntu 14.04 with Qt 5.3. I want to run an external application system("flowgeneratormanager &"); from my host app.The external app is in /usr/bin/ directory.