» Live USB Instructions for Mac dont work for 12.10
Live USB Instructions for Mac dont work for 12.10
|April 1, 2013
Posted by forumadmin
The are several guides online (including a few on the ubuntu website) that follow the general pattern of instructions found in this one.
I assume that at some point, this worked.
However, on an Intel iMac 5.1 with Ubuntu 12.10, it does not work. Each command executes successfully, but the result is a drive that will not boot.
Holding Alt during the boot, as the guide suggests, brings up a menu that does not include the USB drive.
Alternately, booting into rEFIt or rEFInd does in fact show the device, but refuses to boot, producing the error message:
Error: Not found from LocateDevicePath
(x 9 times)
Error: Load Error while (re)opening our installation volume
The firmware refused to boot from the selected volume. Note that external hard drives are not well-supported by Apple´s firmware for legacy OS booting
Perhaps the guide needs to be updated? I’m not sure what to try differently here.
Edit: This is apparently not limited to 12.10. I just had the same issue occur with 12.04.2.
Edit: I get the same issue (“refused to boot”) following these instructions: http://userpages.uni-koblenz.de/~ceinig/howto/artikel.php?id=92
More Related Questions
- Ubuntu 14.04 on Apple Macbook Air late 2010, 3-2 – installation not possible Starting from a live usb stick, according to: create a usb stick on mac osx
is not possible.
I downloaded ubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64+mac.iso
The same behaviour appears with rEFIt […]
- Bootable Ubuntu USB Stick just not possible on Macbook In case someone else attempts this they should not try any of the following routes when attempting to make a bootable installation or live ubuntu CD. Basically, nothing works and Ubuntu […]
- Mounting Ubuntu to usb on Mac OSX Lion I am having an issue involving a Lexar USB device. When I attempt to Execute step 8
Execute sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m (replace /path/to/downloaded.img […]
- Installing Ubuntu 12.10 on Mac Mini (End 2009) I am trying to installing Ubuntu 12.10 on my Mac Mini (End 2009). This sounds like a often asked question and I all ready read lots of stuff about it, but now I am confused.
While some […]
- Can I install Ubuntu on an iMac G4 PowerMac6,1 without access to OS X I have an iMac G4 PowerMac6,1 which has already seen some years and I would like to install Ubuntu on it (any version) by overwriting the current OS X installation which I can't and don't […]
- Install Ubuntu on Mac OS X Mavericks, MacBook Air I was wondering if its okay to install Ubuntu on my Macbook Air, and if it is okay please let me know the procedure.
I would prefer to do it by NOT using reFind (not sure what the name […]
- How to boot ubuntu on mac I tried many ways to boot Ubuntu on my mac os. I do not have an internal cd drive but wen I tried to install it using the external cd drive(from apple), the drive does not work (Apple made […]
- Where to install Ubuntu bootloader on a Mac? I'm trying to install Ubuntu on a Mac, but I can't get it to boot with default mac bootloader or rEFI. It shows up as "Windows" On the mac bootloader and shows up as "Linux" on rEFI.
- Dualboot Ubuntu and Mac os x Mountain Lion I would like help on how to dual boot Mountain Lion 10.8. I already have free allocated space for the install. Would it break my ubuntu?
I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.04 […]
- "Not downloading file in useable form" error when trying to make a Live USB stick on a Mac I have downloaded ubuntu onto my Mac but when I click on the file I get message that The Following Disk images couldn't be opened.. Image ubuntu-14.04 reason no mountable file systems. […]