» Is it possible to display Indentation guides in Vim?
Is it possible to display Indentation guides in Vim?
|January 28, 2010
Posted by forumadmin
I’m a longtime Vim user (3 or 4 years) who has recently started dealing with some deeply nested code. This code is indented with spaces, not tabs. I would like some clean and non-distracting indication of indentation to help with keeping track of which block of code I’m in when I’m looking at something many levels deep.
Only displays tab and endline characters. I have found one plug-in (can’t seem to dig it up at the moment) that will highlight each indentation level in progressively darker colors but this is visually unappealing. Ideally I would like to see thin vertical lines at each indentation level. Many new-fangled editors have this functionality but I’m not willing to give up on Vim just yet.
Does anyone know how this can be achieved?
More Related Questions
- Does vim have this Notepad++ feature? In Notepad++, there is a dotted line that runs down from the function keyword through the end of the method. It looks like this:
Can vim reproduce something similar? Asked By - […]
- Vim context highlighting I think standard highlighting is useful -- to some extent. When programming with callbacks and nested structures, this does not help. Keywords and strings, they appear everywhere, and it […]
- Changing Vim indentation behavior by file type Could someone explain to me simply the easiest way to change the indentation behavior of vim based on the file type? For instance if I open a python file it would indent with 2 spaces, but […]
- Turning off auto indent when pasting text into vim Unfortunately, I am not an experienced vim user. But, I am making the effort to learn it.
When I paste code into my document from the clipboard, I get extra spaces at the start of each […]
- Correct indentation of HTML and PHP using Vim I've been using Vim for a while, and I can't get proper HTML indentation working in PHP files.
For example, what I want is for each child to be indented one tab more than it's parent, as […]
- How do you enable file specific tab indent settings in VIM? I believe there is a method to write a comment in a file that vim will use to override default tabbing and indent values.
Can someone point me to information about this feature and how to […]
- Any Emacs command like paste-mode in vim? When i'm trying to paste some code from browser to Emacs, it will indent code automatically, is there any way to stop Emacs from indenting temporarily like :set paste in vim? Asked […]
- How do I tidy up an HTML files indentation in VI? The other day my friend asked me how to fix the indentation of his huge html files which was all messed up.
I tried the usual "gg=G" command, which is what I use to fix the indentation of […]
- How do I fix the indentation of an entire file in Vi? In Vim, what is the command to correct the indentation of all the lines?
Often times I'll copy and paste code into a remote terminal and have the whole thing messed up. I want to fix […]
- How do you make vim unhighlight what you searched for? I search for "nurple" in a file. I found it, great. But now, every occurrence of "nurple" is rendered in sick black on yellow. Forever.
Forever, that is, until I search for something I […]