How to Develop Dynamic Plug-In Based Functionality in C#
|June 1, 2010||Posted by forumadmin under TechQns||
I’ve been looking around for different methods of providing plug-in support for my application. Ideally, I will be creating a core functionality and based on different customers developing different plug-ins/addons such as importing, exporting data etc… What are the some methods available for making a C# application extensible via a plug-in architecture?
Lets make up an example. If we have a program that consists of a main menu ( File, Edit, View, et al. ) along with a TreeView that displays different brands of cars grouped by manufacturer ( Ford, GM, for now). Right clicking on a car displays a context menu with the only option being ‘delete car’.
How could you develop the application so that plug-ins could be deployed so that you could allow one customer to see a new brand in the TreeView, let’s say Honda, and also extent the car context menu so that they may now ‘paint a car’?
In Eclipse/RCP development this is easily handled by extension points and plug-ins. How does C# handle it? I’ve been looking into developing my own plug-in architecture and reading up on MEF.
|Asked By – Matthew||Read Answers|
More Related Questions
- Plugin-like architecture in .NET I'm trying to implement a plug-in like application. I know there are already several solution out there but this is just going to be proof of the concept, nothing more. The idea would be […]
- Writing C# Plugin System Ok, tried google, really no help. Tried searching for previous question here, nothing similar/in C#. I'm trying to write a plugin system to provide some extensibility to an application of […]
- Using the parents DataContext (WPF – Dynamic Menu Command Binding) I looked over this web and google and the solutions didn't work for me. I have a command on the ViewModel of a UserControl. Well, The usercontrol have a ItemsControl binded to a […]
- Architecture for extension/plugin communication Once the problem of loading plugins is solved (in .NET through MEF in out case), the next step to solve is the communication with them. The simple way is to implement an interface and use […]
- Visual Studio 2008 Plug-in / Add-in development – Getting Started hey guys, in relation to this stackoverflow question, how would I go about creating my own Visual Studio 2008 plug-in. I've checked the Visual Studio Developer Centre on MSDN, but the […]
- Designing extensible software (plugin architecture) I need some resources that talk about how to design your software to be extensible, i.e. so that other people can write add-ons/plug-ins that adds functionality to it. What do you […]
- What add-in/workbench framework is the best .NET alternative to Eclipse RCP? I'm looking for a plugin-based application framework that is comparable to the Eclipse Plugin Framework, which to my simple mind consists of: a core plugin management framework (Equinox […]
- How to load plugins in .NET? I'd like to provide some way of creating dynamically lodable plugins in my software. Typicial way to do this is using the LoadLibrary WinAPI fuction to load a dll and calling […]
- Suggestions for Adding Plugin Capability? Is there a general procedure for programming extensibility capability into your code? I am wondering what the general procedure is for adding extension-type capability to a system you are […]
- Dynamic MenuBar in JSF I want to create dynamic menu bar according to user Logged-in. Please tell how to create MenuBar dynamically and setting action and outcome attributes accordingly Asked By - […]