» Dual Boot Ubuntu 14.04 with Windows 7 on UEFI
Dual Boot Ubuntu 14.04 with Windows 7 on UEFI
|June 24, 2014
Posted by forumadmin
I just built a new computer last week, and this weekend I got around to attempting to install Ubuntu 14.04 on it besides Windows 7. This is my first experience really using UEFI, so I was a little surprised that the install process didn’t just work for me. No matter what I did, I always ended up with a prompt saying
Unable to find a medium containing a live file system
and I was unable to type anything, though that may be due to my wireless keyboard (wired is on the way). This prompt always comes up after sitting at the Ubuntu loading screen for about ~2-3 minutes.
I made sure the ISO I downloaded was fine by checking the MD5Sum. Rebuilt the bootable usb (using UNetbootin) twice, no luck. The only thing I was not able to do was turn off secure boot, because I was not able to find the option on my motherboad (Gigabyte 970A-UD3P). I’m not even sure if that’s a UEFI feature, or if it’s just a Windows 8 feature.
I have verified that I am indeed using USB2.0 ports, and not USB3.0. I am rather lost and not sure how to proceed at this point. Any more guidance would be greatly appreciated! I really despise developing on Windows -_-
EDIT: more attempts:
Ok, I have tried this some more. I have now used Rufus, LiveLinux USB Creator, and Universal USB Installer. None of these have done it either. I have bought a brand new flash drive, that didn’t work. Every single time it is the same story. Ubuntu loading screen for about 2 minutes, then kicked into an ash console with the message of “Unable to find a medium containing a live file system”. I’m not even able to type at all at this point, so I can’t really get any more information. This is incredibly frustrating. I have never had this much trouble getting Linux installed before.
Skill Ripjaw 2x4GB RAM
More Related Questions
- Problem while Dual booting windows 8 pro with Ubuntu 13.10 I have a HP Pavilion-15-n004tx laptop. It supports UEFI. However when i installed Windows 8 on it, i disabled the UEFI and installed the Windows in Legacy BIOS mode. I wanted to dual boot […]
- Cant boot into ubuntu 12.10 after installing on an UEFI system I have Sony VIAO SVS13112ENB which has a Insyde H2O bios with UEFI and enabled. It came with Windows 7 and then i upgraded it to Windows 8. Now I am trying to install and run Ubuntu with […]
- Problem with dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 8 I have got a new Lenovo y510p with 8.1, When I tried to install Ubuntu, It did not detect the USB. So I changed the boot mode to legacy and selected priority to legacy first. Before that I […]
- Dual boot Ubuntu 14.04 with windows 8 I'm attempting to dual boot Win8 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I already had Win8 installed and have Ubuntu installed, and when booting I am given the option to boot either Win8 or Ubuntu, but […]
- Installing Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS from USB on an UEFI system stops in grub rescue shell – how to continue? I want to install Ubuntu 14.04.1 from USB on a system with UEFI (from HP) instead of BIOS where Windows 7 is preinstalled.
Unfortunately booting from USB-Stick hangs at the Grub "rescue […]
- Unable to repair GRUB with Boot Repair I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, which came with Win 8.1 preinstalled, with UEFI of course. So, I disabled secure boot and I installed without much interruption, but I realized that I […]
- Dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10 on UEFI laptop I have a notebook pre-installed with Windows7 and I installed Ubuntu 12.10 on it following the standard installation steps in the installation image.
The only problem is that on reboot […]
- dual boot lost, how can I enter in ubuntu again? I have a notebook and, while in windows 8, a updater software that came with it updated the bios and now I can only access windows. how can I restore the boot options?
my note has UEFI and […]
- Zotac Zbox EN760 Wont Boot from USB I wanted to install Ubuntu 14.04.1 on my Zotac Zbox EN760. It is using legacy boot, as both the "Win7 uEFI" and "Win8 uEFI" don't get past the purple screen (don't know the official name, […]
- Problems recovering Ubuntu OR Reinstalling Ubuntu alongside Win8 I am trying to get linux back running on my laptop that has Win8.
It used to run before I upgraded to Win8.1 but now, whenever I choose Linux in the boot menu it just returns some […]