» Cant access keyboard in boot menu after update to Ubuntu 14.0.1, laptop keyboard, trackpad, network not working
Cant access keyboard in boot menu after update to Ubuntu 14.0.1, laptop keyboard, trackpad, network not working
|September 18, 2014
Posted by forumadmin
I’ve just updated my system from the command line. There after the system went into black screen. I got a login screen after several reboots but am only able to use the keyboard to login after inserting a USB mouse.
As I can’t access grub at startup, as the keyboard is unresponsive, I reset the grub boot order to the previous kernel (22.214.171.124 recovery mode). I was following the description from this answer on “Customizing the /etc/default/grub file”. I checked the kernel after rebooting…
…and it turns out that it’s still the latest (3.13.0-34-generic).
Following things noted:
- caps lock key lights up during boot
- keyboard unresponsive at login screen
- unresponsive mouse and trackpad
- responsive mouse after reinserting mouse into usb port => keyboard
- no network even if ethernet cable is plugged in
- unresponsive trackpad
On a MacBook 5,1 running UbuntuGnome 14.04.1 (not a dual boot), 3.13.0-34-generic
Got into grub by deactivating the ACPI system by editing grub config:
gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
and changing this variable:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quit splash acpi=ht"
Found a graphics error in /var/log/Xorg.failsafe.log and fixed it following the following thread: Fatal server error – no screen found – ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2241756.
In essence it was a matter of removing
Trackpad, keyboard, bluetooth are now working.
No wireless/ethernet connection.
Reinstalled the wireless driver from the LiveUSB pendrive following these instructions: WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx
More Related Questions
- Mac wireless keyboard doesnt work in GRUB 2 I have just installed Ubuntu 14.04 and now I cant boot into Mac OSX anymore. I am using the standard wireless keyboard that all Apple computers come with and it doesnt work at all in the […]
- cannot scroll up and down on boot select menu with new keyboard I just bought a razer deathstalker, which works great on my windows boot. However, I went to restart my system, and when I got to the boot menu, it was unable to move up and down to select […]
- ubuntu server 13.04 – black screen after grub update – mbp 2006 BACKGROUND
Hard drive died on 2006 Macbook Pro with nVidia graphics card. Replaced HD with 320 GB Western Digital. Created, booted and installed Ubuntu 13.04 from USB. No problems with […]
- Black screen when trying to install ubuntu 13.10 I am in need of some help. It has been 2 weeks since I bought my first ever windows laptop with the aim of replacing windows but I have been unsuccessful.
The hardware is as follows […]
- Xubuntu/Windows 7 Dual Boot – Video Issue I recently wiped the hard drive of my Toshiba Satellite E45T-A4200 to remove the pre-installed Windows 8. Next, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 via flash drive, and upon completion I […]
- Problem while Dual booting windows 8 pro with Ubuntu 13.10 I have a HP Pavilion-15-n004tx laptop. It supports UEFI. However when i installed Windows 8 on it, i disabled the UEFI and installed the Windows in Legacy BIOS mode. I wanted to dual boot […]
- Ubuntu on Acer E1-510 So I have an Acer E1-510-2821 Computer I recently purchased at Walmart. The computer came pre-installed with Windows 8.1. The system of course is UEFI, and unfortunately has no legacy Bios […]
- MacBook will not boot after Ubuntu Install I have an old MacBook laying around not doing much, so I decided to install Ubuntu 13.04 on it, and dual boot with OSX.
From within OSX, I repartitioned the drive, reserving half of the […]
- I need Plan of Attack! Please help I need for someone to help me creating a plan of attack ; )
Purpose: Setting up dual booting = Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 13.10.
Both OSs are installed in a different hard […]
- After updating grub, my dell inspiran laptop boots but goes blank screen I was facing a problem with my Radeon graphics card (getting too hot). So I applied the following solution given here:
Enable AMD Radeon DPM (Dynamic Power Management):
To enable DPM in […]