» Are there any disadvantages to using a 4096-bit encrypted SSL certificate?
Are there any disadvantages to using a 4096-bit encrypted SSL certificate?
|December 10, 2011
Posted by forumadmin
I was recently requesting a SSL cert via Godaddy and noticed this message:
In the past I have always generated 2048-bit CSR requests, but this time it got me thinking that perhaps I should “step it up,” and it seems like the next step would be a 4096-bit version.
There isn’t much info on available on 4096-bit SSL certs – but apparently many people have been using 1024-bit certificates until they absolutely had to upgrade and now some browsers won’t support the 1024-bit certificates anymore.
How is browser support for 4096-bit certificates? If Godaddy requires “at least” a 2048-bit certificate is that enough, or should I try and do something more? If so, what are the advantages and disadvantages?
ps: the two links in Godaddy’s message are CSR Help and Learn more, both of which I didn’t find very helpful.
More Related Questions
- IIS hosted WCF with SSL Certifcate I am new to WCF and WCF Security. I am trying to use a WCF service using SSL. There are lots of examples on the internet, but I am really confused. The issue is this:
In the IIS we can […]
- How does startssl.com authentication work? Startssl.com, which provides free class 1 ssl certs, uses a very unique and simple authentication system. During it's login process it redirects the client to https://auth.startssl.com/ […]
- Where can I set my ssl certificates in mean.io? I want to server my mean.io application only in https, but I cannot find where I can do. That is very weird, because mean.io has a built in login mechanism, it should be https by default, […]
- Should I use SSL if my parameters already encrypted? I use GET to send parameters to server, the parameters are encrypted and base16 encoded.
Is it still important to use SSL?
Would using SSL prevent attack of type calling the server […]
- Rapid SSL private key in to setup https with my apache sever I bought SSL certificate to apply it to my site which is hosted in Digitalocean VPS,
When I bought SSL , Rapid SSL emailed the keys with that email.
In that mail they mentioned […]
- Renew an SSL certiticate on IIS without impacting people that using this certificate I have a question about renewal SSL certificate on IIS and windows server 2008.
I have a certificate that will expire 2014-10-01
We have the new certificate to install that will expire […]
- Websocket security (wss) connection with PHP I'm starting with websockets and I learned how to do handshake. This code does handshake without SSL, I added SSL cert to my server and it doesn't work now:
$host = '176.xxx.xx.xx';
- HTTPS error "data length too long" in s3_pkt.c from Socket.io We’re trying to get Socket.io flashsockets to work in Internet Explorer 9 over HTTPS/WSS. The flashsockets work over HTTP, but HTTPS is giving us problems. We’re using socket.io version […]
- trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty
I'm trying to find the solution for this exception over a week, but I can't.
I'm running a JBoss 7.0.13 (let's call as APP-SV|app.my.site.com), […]
- https request from node server using client certificate reports expired certificate I have a node server (v0.10.20) running on my local Windows 7 machine which makes https requests to a backend using my client certificate. The request worked in the beginning and from one […]