» After removing the latest kernel, how can I be notified of kernel updates again?
After removing the latest kernel, how can I be notified of kernel updates again?
|August 30, 2014
Posted by forumadmin
Yesterday, I updated all packages through the software updater. It installed kernel
3.13.0-35. When I rebooted, I would get a completely unresponsive blank screen, so I went back to the Grub menu and I booted into the previous kernel:
3.13.0-34. Basically, 35 just wouldn’t work and 34 would.
Then I uninstalled the latest kernel like so:
sudo apt-get remove 3.13.0-35
Now my question is two-fold:
- The Software Updater does not show me any kernel updates now. Is this normal?
- How can I be informed of kernel updates again (through the software updater)?
I feel that uninstalling 3.13.0-35 has somehow disabled kernel updates completely.
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-34-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-34-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-33-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-33-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-32-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-32-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Windows 8 (loader) on /dev/sda1
More Related Questions
- Cant upgrade kernel to 3.13.0-30 on 14.04 I think I broke something with apt on my system. I'm trying to update the kernel to 3.13.0-30, but when I run apt-get I'm getting the following output:
Reading package lists... […]
- upgrade has a problem when I use:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
I get this:
Setting up rsyslog (5.8.6-1ubuntu9.1) ...
dpkg: error processing rsyslog (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script […]
- I broke linux kernel. Cant boot I ran out of space last day and couldn't update so I decided to remove old kernels. I don't know why, it told me I had problems ??? I decided to reboot and I couldn't, it entered into a […]
- Problems with software installation after kernel update I am using Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit.
I decided to install Linux kernel 3.10 which was released recently so, i downloaded the kernel and header packages from kernel.ubuntu.com since it's not in […]
- When installing updates or from software center in Ubuntu 12.04, error messages I have a new computer with plenty of disk space. There's a solid state boot drive and a regular disk where I put my files.
So the primary thing happening is that for the last few weeks, […]
- Apt-get distupgrade wants to destroy my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS This morning I have issued a command I use fairly often:
Usually it finds little to do, some times it will replace the kernel and headers.
With my great surprise […]
- 12.04-server update failure after full /boot, apt not working, unmet dependencies to non exiting linux-image kernel Unattended upgrade failed after full /boot partition. Creating disk-space by deleting old kernels with the recommended command
sudo apt-get purge linux-image-x.x.x-x-generic
does not […]
- Unmet dependencies when I tried to free up unused kernels I am running 12.04.
I read this http://askubuntu.com/a/90219/18876 as reference.
I checked all the one I have.
yeukhon@fubini:~$ aptitude search ~ilinux-image
- How to integrate a package updates in Ubuntu? I have made a .deb file which I have hosted on an Apache server. What I want is that the software should get updated automatically along with other software & Ubuntu updates as shown […]
- Software Updater broken?
That's the result I got when I tried to update the system.
By working with the Software and Updates settings, fetching some keys from the key server, and working with apt-get in the […]