» Abnormally High Fan Speed on Cool Laptop, Dell Inspiron 15R 5520, Ubuntu 14.04,
Abnormally High Fan Speed on Cool Laptop, Dell Inspiron 15R 5520, Ubuntu 14.04,
|August 3, 2014
Posted by forumadmin
I am using a Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 running Ubuntu 14.04 alongside Windows 8.1. My issue is with the Dell’s fan, which is running at full speed during most of the time the computer is booted into Ubuntu. Any small task I do, from searching for an app, to loading webpages and switching tabs in a browser, causes the fan speed to reach its max speed. Oddly, the fan only does this when the computer is booted into Ubuntu, but not Windows 8.1. I tried flashing my BIOS and updating my chip set, to no avail.
System manager shows 4 cpu cores each running at above 10% when the fan goes to its highest speed. And it will remain at this speed for several minutes thereafter. I noticed that the utilization percentages for each core does not match the cpu load average. For example, it said that the average was 0.43 at some point, but when I checked the core percentages while the fan was running high they are all lower, as if the Monitor is adding the percentages together and using this to determine fan speed (just my hypothesis). But there is still some correlation between fan speed and cpu usage.
The Dell is not hot when the fan is running high; the air it blows is either cool or slightly warm. I recently cleaned the computer’s exhaust, too.
Lastly, I am a beginner at Linux, so please, if you can, don’t be too technical with responses. And just to mention, I learned about Jupiter, which I found out is discontinued, and I tried using i8kutils while following a thread from a forum when researching a solution and my fan was barely on after that (had to re-install Ubuntu).
Can anyone offer a solution to this issue?
Thanks in advance,
More Related Questions
- Persistent High-Fan Speed Ubuntu 14.04 I am using a Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 laptop running Ubuntu 14.04 with kernel version 3.13.0-34 generic. Since installing the OS, I have been having issues with my computer's fan spinning at […]
- Bluetooth not working after upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 I upgraded from 12.04 to 14.04. After upgrading the Bluetooth is not working. It shows 'No adapters found'. My laptop is Dell Inspiron 15 R. How can i Get the driver?? Asked By - […]
- Dell laptop display brightness problem I am using Dell inspiron 15 and Ubuntu 13.04. I have hot keys on my keyboard to adjust display brightness and they work fine.But the problem is, as soon as I switch on the laptop the […]
- Dell Inspiron 5220 Screen Brightness buttons I've installed Ubuntu 13.04, everything seems fine except using the FN-key to change the laptop's brightness.
It just stays permanently on full brightness.
Even if I go into System […]
- Nvidia GPU Fan Speed Setting Not Staying Permanent Running a Nvidia 660ti and Ubuntu 14.04 with Nvidia driver 331.38 from the stock additional drivers repo.
followed this post by waspinator to get coolbits to work because coolbits 5 did […]
- Dell Inspiron 5537 15R 12.04 Two LapTop type dell5537 lnspiron 15r used ubuntu12.04 issue but did not support Aloyrls and replaced it by issuing ubuntu13.10 but did not support VGA Asked By - tarek […]
- Ubuntu 14.04LTS hangs when i change brightness of my display on Dell N5010 laptop I have dell n5010
my system hang when I try to change brightness of the display and this happen only when my system on battery
please help how to solve this problem Asked By - […]
- 14.04 Doesnt Shutdown Completely Ubuntu 14.04 doesn't finish shutting down. It just keeps playing the Ubuntu splash screen.
In troubleshooting I tried sudo shutdown now and it stopped with the screen black, but still […]
- No audio through speakers but headphones work fine 1I recently bought a Dell Latitude E7440 laptop. It came with Windows 7 preinstalled and eveything works fine with it. But I'm planning to install Ubuntu 14.04 on it and when I boot from a […]
- Brightness Problem Ubuntu 14.04 The brightness indicator on my Dell Inspiron 5520 laptop does not work.
I can't change the brightness.
I'm using Ubuntu 14.04.
Help for newbie, please. Asked By - […]