» 12.04 freeze after update
12.04 freeze after update
|July 4, 2014
Posted by forumadmin
12.04 running on Dell Inspiron 3847, Intel® Pentium(R) CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz × 2, graphics = Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.3, 128 bits). This has occasionally crashed with no discernible pattern, and Restart always hangs, but booting from full Shut Down has been fine. After installing updates last night (3 July 2014) I can’t boot as normal. If I try, either from cold or from full Shut Down, I get past the Dell logo to a blank Ubuntu purple screen, but that’s it. No message on the screen, no activity from the hard disk. It will sit there until I switch it off. Power off at this stage requires a button press only – no need to hold for 5-10 seconds. If I then press the button to power back on it will boot to the grub selection screen (which did not display before the update – only one OS installed) and selecting ‘boot as normal’ brings the system up in its usual state.
I have to assume that something has changed in the recent update, but I don’t know how to find a list of what updates have been installed, nor do I know how to revert to an earlier kernel should that be required.
Can anybody help?
More Related Questions
- Ubuntu 12.04 freezes after update I am working with Ubuntu 12.04 for a while now, constantly upgrading and afterwards cleaning with Ubuntu-Tweak's Janitor. Everthing went fine until about two weeks ago: then my computer […]
- Ubuntu freezes after a batch of updates I installed a first batch of updates after doing a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.10 tonight on my laptop. The fresh install worked great. But after the updates when it offered me to restart […]
- Dim/dark screen back after latest update [Ubuntu 12.04] I booted a few minutes ago and everything was fine, update manager notified me about new updates so I decided to install them, and then poof, dim/dark screen is back in action.
I did […]
- Intel Atom N2800 freezes until mouse or key press Recently I bought few small china PCs with Intel Atom N2800 processors. Beside the well known problem with the PowerVR graphic chips I have another very strange problem.
I tried on Ubuntu […]
- update to 12.04.2 – desktop disappears I just updated my ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS after quite a bit. What I got is a GRUB background with a DEBIAN logo (!) and no graphical desktop environment. Any idea besides reinstalling it all? […]
- Does LyX dump files somewhere when the OS crashes? I have a very disturbing problem running LyX with Ubuntu 12.04 on my Dell Inspiron. Ever since I purchased this laptop and installed Ubuntu 12.04, it periodically freezes and nothing can […]
- Xubuntu 12.04 freezes before login on splash screen Before you mark this as a duplicate for this What should I do when Ubuntu freezes? note that it is for issues after login, not before. I have tried previous versions of the kernel, Alt-F2, […]
- Ubuntu 12.04 freezes when switching to lightdm I was changing the theme in my Ubuntu 12.04 to Mac OS theme, constantly installing, logging in and out, rebooting when trying to fix things along the way. While I was doing a reboot, it […]
- cannot log into Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS after startup I recently installed 64bit Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS on my Inspiron 1720 laptop as a dual-boot with Windows 7.
When I boot up Ubuntu, it gets to the log in screen just fine but after logging in […]
- ubuntu 12.04 LTS freezes after a long periode of inactivity I ran ubuntu 10.04 LTS on this machine without problem. I now run ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit. I use it as a backup server and test server which means it's on all the time. That's the problem, […]