» (11.10) Install Windows on Logical/Extended Partition — Dual-Boot
(11.10) Install Windows on Logical/Extended Partition — Dual-Boot
|April 15, 2012
Posted by forumadmin
I have 3 Primary/Basic partitions:
sda1. Ubuntu 11.10 root drive (40G)
sda2. FreeBSD root (20G)
sda3. Windows XP root drive(4G)
I have a Logical/Extended Partition sda4 of 234GB, divided into 5 disks (sda6~9).
The Primary Partition#3 [sda3] has only 4G space, which is quite insufficient (I need Windows only for MS Office, and a few odd engineering software; so I wish to use the least possible, but efficient, space for it).
My query is, can I install Windows XP to one of the disks (sda6~9) on the Logical/Extended partition without damaging the Partition table structure and the in ANY of the Primary & Logical partitions/disks?
Partitions Structure: /dev/sda
/dev/sda1 ext4 / Oneiric-Ocelot 40G`
/dev/sda2 ufs FreeBSD 20G
/dev/sda3 ntfs WinXP Pro 4G #This will be formatted 'ext4' & contents of '/Mix' will come here
/dev/sda4 extended 234G
/dev/sda5 ext4 /Docs Docs 34G
/dev/sda6 ext4 /Multimedia Multimedia 186G
/dev/sda7 unallocated 2MB
/dev/sda8 ext4 /Mix Mix 10G #XP is to be installed here
/dev/sda9 linux-swap 04G`
More Related Questions
- How to Install ubuntu, problems with disk partitions I couldn't install Ubuntu since the unallocated space is not shown in Ubuntu installer or Gparted, and the "Install along side Windows" option is not listed.
Screen shot of Disk […]
- Ive installed Ubuntu 13.04 (using something else) and now I cannot boot windows 8 Hello everyone I'm new to Ubuntu so I probably messed something up. When I installed Ubuntu on my windows 8 hp laptop it did not give me the option to install Ubuntu alongside windows so I […]
- Partitioning an external hard drive for Linux I want to partition an external SSD hard drive (30GB) for Ubuntu. What is the proper size for main partition, Swap partition and for the rest? I want to use remaining disk space to store […]
- swap partition not working on ver 13.10 It's a 3 day old install of Ubuntu 13.10
I set my partitions up correctly beforehand with Gparted(you'll have to trust me on that)
swap partition was formatted as linux-swap and given 6gb […]
- Cant boot into Windows 7 EFI GPT after recovery operation My question, or rather issue, is in the extent of this previous case in which I wanted to grow my Linux (ext4) partition. The partition /dev/sda6 was in the way of doing this and since it […]
- Gparted cant create partition table Here's what the problem is.
About a day or so ago I used Gparted live cd to create 3 NTFS primary partitions on my external 500 gig Goflex and one extended with 2 logical partitiones.
- Two Volumes? Want to Merge! I apologize ahead of time for how confusing this may be. I am very new to things such as partitions, disks, and hard drives.
When I installed Ubuntu there were two options, install on a […]
- Nautilus doesnt see free space but GParted does I've recently moved my system partition in order to install some Windows and now Nautilus reports 0 free space at /home partition (and the total size seems to be incorrect as well)
- Formatting and Partitioning SSD Help? So I just installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my netbook and was going through the things to do to optimize my SSD (https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd) Steps 5 and 6 tell me […]
- Reading Partition Start and End in TestDisk I'm using TestDisk in an attempt to recover a partition gone terribly awry. Identifying the partition in question should simply be a matter of simply recognizing the location in the disk […]